Pages

Friday 19 April 2013

Alumni Update - Kobus Rautenbach Couture


Alice in Wonderland
Photo Shoot by Donovan Roets Photography

From my fashion files, the Alumni fashion photo shoot features lecturer and designer, Kobus Rautenbach from Kobus Rautenbach Couture and model, Cindy Roodt.
We did this shoot early January 2013 which highlights this couture designer as a creative mastermind.


The best fabrics money can buy, jewels and crystals imported and beautifully personal, and on point, luxurious and beautifully hand crafted gowns, dripping with amazing embellishments hand beaded and steamed with a drop of vanilla extract. Well all of this is just the tip of the iceberg when one looks at the work of South African Couturier Kobus Rautenbach.

Born in the small town of Virginia in the Freestate, on May 20th 1989. Kobus grew up in the town of Klerksdorp in North West, and attended Schoonspruit High and then went on to graduated top of his class from North West School of Design in 2009 and obtained the qualified fashion designer credential. From these humble beginnings Kobus has made a name for himself in the industry as a creative mind, that can sculpt and mould anything is client would like and makes you feel like your apart of world.



Kobus Rautenbach Couture was started in 2010 after Kobus gained some experience in the retail industry, working for Truworths and then spending 6 months in Botswana, where he gained experience and inspiration for his work. “I still remember my very first evening dress that left the studio, or then work space that I setup in my apartment. It was a beautiful royal blue silk taffeta dress with delicate black lace and crystal detail and when that happened I just knew that this is what I want to do for the rest of my life”. 



Kobus slowly worked his way up, adding and building to his label everyday and making sure his unique design style is portrayed in every dress and art piece he made. Kobus began working as an assistant lecturer in 2011 at North West School of Design together with his design label, and became full time lecturer within that year. He has a unique bond and ability to learn aspiring fashion designers the way and is one of the most positive people in fashion I know. His subjects include garment illustration, pattern engineering, comprehensive sewing and CAD. 
“I love my lecturing job to bits, every second spent in a creative atmosphere like a design college keeps me motivated and I feel honoured and fortunate to be able to share and teach my students about the experiences and lessons I had to learn while building up my brand”

Today Kobus has his own functional design studio situated in a very historic part of Klerksdorp, North West with a true couture feel and ambiance to embrace his couture and creative personality. 

Kobus Rautenbach Couture’s signature style is to capture old Hollywood and that amazing vintage feel of well made couture. “I don’t like edgy and modern. I love to design elegant, timeless pieces turned into couture art.” Always expect classical lace pieces, Swarovski crystals, layering, flare and beautifully fitted body hugging garments. One unique style of his and is seen as a signature, is his corseted construction flared dresses with densely ribbon drawstring closures and back fitted gowns. “I love using old, cream calico, dusty, white, pink and charcoal colours, usually a combination of different shades to create dimension, texture and depth.”



For Kobus his client is a part of the design process and feels that it’s very important not to force any of his ideas onto a client, but to really sit and listen, consult about all the aspects of the client like that of body type, skin tone, features and imperfections to create not only a perfect dress but also to create a stunning well brought together look and allure. 

“It’s never my dress; it’s always my clients dress. I find my inspiration for design from my client’s personality, antique furniture styles, antique colours and all around beauty that is very easily overlooked by someone. I believe that no matter how busy the workload or schedule, it is vital to be still and reflect on the beauty in everyday things and to be grateful for it.”

His process in creating a piece of Couture art for a client is simple. He begins by having an informal consultation with a client which helps him to get to know his client better on a personal level and helps getting to know their personalities and understanding what their expectations are from him as a designer. After discussing design rules and principals the designer loves dazzling his clients with a sketch that gives them the prime opportunity to discuss fabric and exactly what she wants. On their second consultation the client receives a sketch of the final design as well as fabric samples and all the formalities which are then handled. After measurements the designer then insists on having at least 3 fittings to ensure a perfect glove fit, perfect proportions and drape and comfortable movement & length.


“The best part of stitching the garment and bringing the whole look together is that a gown or dress always develops its own unique personality. Almost like playing cupid between my client and the dress. It’s my job to create the perfect match.” He replied.


Kobus Rautenbach Couture is situated in beautiful space and shows exactly what type of person and designer Kobus is, he is truly inspired by heavy weights such as that of Vera Wang with her signature tulle layering and Monique Lhuillier which has an exceptional ability on crystal and texture craftsmanship. The designer had this to say; “I do have big dreams for my studio, I strive to bring back the true meaning of couture and give my clients a couture experience in its true form. Couture is art. I don’t really know if I will ever expand or even go retail, but right now and right here I am grateful for being able enough to practice and live within my talent and entrepreneurship and I’ll take one day lovingly at a time. Love is patient after all.” Kobus is humble and stays true to his roots. A true artist in his own right and is a designer I would highly recommend, not only for his amazing craftsmanship but for his high level of professionalism and fine attention to detail.
Whether it is a wedding gown or farewell dress, sexy cocktail wear or figure hugging corset you want you can contact Kobus Rautenbach Couture on:
Cell: 084 743 5588
Blackberry: 25CBBA16
E-mail: kobus@krcouture.co.za
Or visit his facebook page at Kobus Rautenbach Couture.
Scan the barcode below to stay connected to his Blackberry BBM group.








No comments:

Post a Comment